Wednesday

My Humble Gardening Plan

We rent this tiny little house, with a nice sized backyard, with one big downfall. Two feet from the back fence is a community motel's garbage bin. Two of them! And I'm a little scared of the warm weather approaching. Rats, mice? Who am I kidding, a little more than scared..ahem.

So I had this huge plan for my garden this year, but we (hubby and I) decided to not go all out as he doesn't want to invest too much into this house since we plan on moving shortly, God willing.

But I still have a little plan..and I'm excited!

I'm keeping it super simple with tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, stinging nettle, basil, milk thistle, and lemon balm.

The tomatoes, I pray grow in abundance so that I can can ketchup and pasta sauce/tomato sauce for the winter. I could just imagine the encouragement for my soul with those jars sitting there in the middle of a cold, dark winter! The stinging nettle (which is a wonderful herb for multiple purposes!) made the cut this year for the benefits they can bring to growing tomatoes. We shall see.

The cucumbers are for fermenting and making pickles. The very process of fermentation has incredible health benefits. And of course that dill will give amazing flavor! Yum, so much to do with dill.

The basil is for pasta sauce, pesto sauce, and also for medicinal uses. According to "Kitchen Gardens" it is delightful in salads, sauces, with fish, poultry...in soups, stews, and stuffings.. And as an herb butter for use in omelets, soups, and cheese dishes, yum! I'm looking forward to it. And I'll be planning on keeping a plant indoors throughout winter. I read they do well so long as provided the right humidity.

The milk thistle is to make everyone I know liver cleansing tinctures.

The lemon balm is for the little story I once read of a cottage who cheered up everyone who traveled its path by merely having delicious lemon balm growing in front of it. It makes delicious cold and hot tea, yummy glycerites, and can chase away the melancholies like a bright, sunny day.

And I'm dreaming of strawberries, but still undecided....

And there's my humble plan for 2014!
love, tanya


No comments:

Post a Comment