Saturday

Homemade Calendula Oil

My eldest daughter is prone to severe eczema episodes. She has had such bad outbreaks that her skin cracks and bleeds.

During my research I learned that eczema outbreaks can be significantly reduced by eliminating toxins in the home. I started with our laundry detergent, shampoo, and then went on to dish liquid, and all of my cleaning supplies.

I now basically only use vinegar and baking soda to clean, with the random essential oils here and there.. We use Castile soap to bathe and I make a simple laundry detergent with Borax, Super Washing Powder and Castile soap.

Food also plays a part. Acidic foods seem to cause outbreaks. When my daughter was very young I performed a food elimination test on her and learned that tomatoes/tomato sauce did not agree with her.

When I started her on steroid creams she got better, but when I learned the damages of those creams and how her skin could become addicted to the cream, I was determined to take her skin into my own hands.

This Calendula Oil is a base for most creams that I make for her. It's lovely and I also use it in foot baths for my husband. It could also be used for baby's bottom for a diaper rash. It's super simple with one way being a quicker method than the other:
What you need:

Calendula Flowers (I use dried)
Carrier Oil (I use olive oil, though almond oil works wonderful too)
Clean, Dry, Colored Glass Jar
Saucepan/Crockpot (For heat infused method)

Methods:

Cold Infused Method: fill glass jar with your petals, top with carrier oil adding just a little more oil than petals. Stir; I use a chop stick. Cover and place in a sunny, warm spot to infuse for 4-6 weeks. This oil is the more concentrated version.

Heat Infused Method: follow directions above to fill your jar and then empty contents in a saucepan or crockpot. Warm on low for several hours. I've gone as high as 5 hours. Stirring occasionally and being sure that the oil does not boil or simmer. Let cool and transfer to a colored bottle. This should keep for about a year, but I always use mine way before then. Label and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment