Wednesday

The Easiest Shepherd's Pie and the DJ in My Life

My husband loves his music.... Here he is playing at a wedding.

He also loves meals such as shepherd's pie. I had never made it, but one day I made the simplest version of it and it came out so incredibly delicious.

I began by sauteing an onion in some olive oil (I used my 10" cast iron pan) then added some crushed garlic, then I browned some meat. I seasoned the meat with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. I added homemade chicken stock and a tsp. of tomato paste and cooked the meat for about 30 minutes, keeping the liquid generous. I add my frozen veggies right on top and let them heat through with the beef.
Meanwhile in another pot I boiled around 8 halved, peeled potatoes. After 20 minutes or so, when fork tender, I drain them and prepare them for mashed potaotes. I add butter, raw milk, and sour cream until nice and creamy.

When all is fully cooked, I heap the potatoes onto the beef and veggies.

Then pop in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. I forgot to get a picture right away...
I don't know why I feel like I'm cheating with this meal. As if I'm taking some super short cut. Maybe it's the frozen veggies? Definitely the addition of homemade stock gives it a long-cooked taste.

It's nutritious and filling and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment